[c-nsp] Terminating lots of double-tagged vlans

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Wed Apr 17 16:07:23 EDT 2013

On Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 12:57:05PM -0700, Bruce Pinsky wrote:
> Simon Lockhart wrote:
> > What I'd come up with is that I'd "ignore" the inner tags, and just
> > use the outer S-Tag to put the properties into subnets (one per
> > S-Tag), and then just do DHCP. However, I'm not quite sure how I'd
> > achieve this.
> >
> > The devices I'd typically use include Cisco 6500/SUP720, ME3600,
> > ASR1k, and smaller stuff like the 3750/3560.
> >

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/lanswitch/configuration/guide/lsw_ieee_802.1q.html#wp1027258

Oh, great, that makes things easy :) I didn't realise you could do that.

Looks like what would work then is to plug the GPON handoff into an ME3600
and use the flexible vlan rewriting on that to ensure that the outer tag is
unique for my network, then aggregate it through our existing L2 access
switches into an ASR1k doing access routing.

I think I must have been over-thinking the problem.

Many thanks,

Simon