[c-nsp] Line Protocol going down sporadically

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Apr 26 16:18:21 EDT 2013

On Apr 26, 2013, at 4:08 PM, "Mike Glass" <MGlass at lccountymt.gov> wrote:

> Here is what I have been seeing on the switch side when allowing traffic to pass, it will run for most of the day, then bam it does this.
>
> Apr 25 13:15:46: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet
> 0/19, changed state to down
> Apr 25 13:15:50: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet
> 0/19, changed state to up

This looks like one of the following:

1) Cabling problem to radio
2) Problem with the radio ethernet phy interface
3) Problem with the switch ethernet phy interface

You can perhaps try to troubleshoot by looking at the 'show controller' command output for the interface.  I don't know on this platform, but it typically reveals underlying details of the physical link layer that are not always promoted to 'show interface' outputs.

>From the radio side, I would also ask you questions like: If the radio loses link, does it promote that error to the ethernet interface?  Is there a management interface (sideband access or otherwise) that you can get details from the radio side ethernet controller as well?

- jared