[c-nsp] BGP re-announcement question

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Thu Aug 1 22:11:17 EDT 2013

On 8/1/13 12:08 PM, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

> I wrote that I am not sure your customer would always want you to
> send traffic down their link because there are scenarios where
> customers would buy backup links which they expect not to get traffic
> on unless some other primary link goes down...
>
> So making the firm assumption might be wrong in all cases, and this
> is why the ability to control it (via communities as the easiest
> option or calls to the NOS as a worst case scenario) is critical.

I've been on both sides of the fence, and I'd say the biggest wrinkle
here is the impact of changing how one operates their network from
"everything's the same" to "customer routes preferred".  That said, I've
been the customer or consulted for the customer of networks that either
didn't offer a community to lower local-pref, didn't offer a mechanism
to get lower local-pref in subsequent transit networks, or both.  So
although the customer might not always want it, there are plenty of
networks out there that require it.

pt