[c-nsp] ASR9000 LC CPU Punt

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 23:12:33 EDT 2013

As I understand it, LPTS handles any locally destined traffic, which would
include the following (according to the book IOS XR Fundamentals):

* All IPv4, IPv6, and MPLS traffic related to routing protocols, or control
plane such as MPLS LDP or RSVP. The control plane computations for
protocols are done on the Router Processor (RP) of the router. Therefore,
whenever routing or MPLS control plane traffic is received on a line card
interface, it needs to be delivered to the RP of the router.
* MPLS packets with the Router Alert label
* IPv4, IPv6, or MPLS packets with a TTL less than 2
* IPv4 or IPv6 packets with options
* IP packets requiring fragmentation or reassembly
* Layer 2 keepalives
* Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) packets
* ICMP message generation and response