[c-nsp] Nexu 5020 HSRP issues

Christian Kildau ckildau at plusline.de
Fri Aug 9 07:52:30 EDT 2013

Hi Cisco-NSP,

we're having some very strange issues while adding HSRP to our Nexus 5020 where both HSRP peers are up, but don't recognize each other, thus causing some issues.

Our config is pretty simple, running 4 VLANs and VPC. VPC is up and the Trunks are running fine.

We now added some SVIs for L3 routing which also seems to be working fine.
But as soon as we add HSRP config as follows:

interface Vlan200
  no shutdown
  no ip redirects
  ip address 10.8.200.2/24
  hsrp version 2
  hsrp 1
    preempt
    priority 110
    ip 10.8.200.1

we're facing some very strange issues.
According to 'debug hsrp engine packet hello' both sides do send HSRP Hello Packets, but the other end never receives them, so both peers are in Active state:

sw1# sh hsrp group 1 brief
Interface   Grp Prio P State    Active addr      Standby addr     Group addr
Vlan200     1   110  P Active   local            unknown          10.8.200.1
  (conf)
sw2# sh hsrp group 1 brief
Interface   Grp Prio P State    Active addr      Standby addr     Group addr
Vlan200     1   100  P Active   local            unknown          10.8.200.1
  (conf)

What could cause this?

Thanks for any hint!

Kind Regards