[c-nsp] terminating double tagged vlans on ASR1000

Christian Schmit cschmit at visual-online.lu
Wed Aug 14 06:24:12 EDT 2013

Hello,
We need to terminate a lot of double tagged vlans on ASR1K devices
(ASR1006/ESP20)to provide pppoe/dhcp connectivity.
Currently we work with sub-interfaces but as it is difficult to manage and
maintain thousands of sub-interfaces we are looking for a better way to
implement this.
In our case the outer vlan is ambiguous while the inner vlan defines the
service.The problem is that normal sub-interfaces do not support ambiguous
outer vlans.
Using EVC, we can match ambiguous outer vlans but in order to map them to a
layer3 interface (BDI interface) we need to pop the vlans, however "rewrite
ingres tag pop 2 symmetric"is not supported on ambiguous vlans.
Is there any way on the ASR1000 to match ambiguous outer vlans and to
terminate them for pppoe/dhcp services without having to create thousands
of sub-interfaces?
Will ambiguous outer tag vlans be supported on normal sub-interfaces in a
future release?
Christian