[c-nsp] Temporarily disable all forwarding on ASR9K

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 17:04:52 EDT 2013

I have wondered the same thing (on C6K/N7K.)

I have since given up wondering and stick to using "ospf max-metric" "int
range <shedload of interfaces> shutdown"

That atleast works whilst exposing us to the minimum amount of surprise
code features.

Given enough time, I'm sure SDN/OpenFluff will solve these kind of problems
:-)

Tim:>

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM, John Neiberger <jneiberger at gmail.com>wrote:

> We need to upgrade some ASR9Ks that have a lot of connected devices with
> complex interrelationships and we have to do a lot of work to make sure all
> the correct redundancy is in place prior to the upgrade. Since the router
> takes so long to reload, I'd like to find a way to essentially simulate the
> loss of forwarding for a minute or so to verify that our redundancy
> preparations were thorough, but I need to be able to back out of it
> quickly. I thought about shutting down the linecards but that's still a
> fairly long restart. I'm hoping to find some method much faster than that.
>
> The simplest and most straightforward way is to shut down all the
> interfaces manually and then rollback if necessary. We can take it out of
> routing by setting the overload bit in ISIS, but that still leaves routing
> and forwarding in place for locally connected interfaces, which is what we
> want to stop. We were tossing around some ideas and wondered, probably just
> academically, if there were a way to completely stop forwarding
> temporarily.
>
> Is there a way to disable forwarding through an ASR9K that is easily and
> quickly reversible? We'll probably do the interface shutdown method since
> it's so simple, but now I'm curious what other options might be available.

Tim:>