[c-nsp] Advice - c7200VXR with 2 bgp tables and peering fabric

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 15 22:10:57 EDT 2013

On Thursday, June 06, 2013 06:02:03 PM Eric A Louie wrote:

> Erik, I noticed that typo after I sent the message away.
>
> Thank you for the bandwidth warning - I'm only about
> halfway there.  From the  old information at
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps341
> /prod_qas0900aecd80471791.html it appears the NPE-G2
> doubles the packet forwarding rate and the RAM
> capacity.  I'm not adverse to upgrading the 7206VXR with
> the NPE-G2

As I've mentioned a few times on this list in the past, the
NPE-G2 or 7201 is good for about 950Mbps of traffic when
operated in "core router" mode, i.e., no or limited ACL use,
basic IP/MPLS features, basic or no QoS, e.t.c.

At those traffic levels, the CPU was sitting at about 90%
utilization, but began dropping packets if there were
microbursts or if CPU started to hit around 93% utilization.

In terms of BGP performance, I have 2x full feeds running on
an NPE-G1 now. It can get slow especially if policy changes
are taking place, i.e., the BGP Router process. I'm testing
RPKI on these as well, which can slow things down a little
further until the entire table has been walked.

The NPE-G2 is much better with full feeds, and you can stick
about three or four full feeds there before you start
shaking things up. But I'd be cautious about running
anything larger than two full feeds either on the NPE-G1 or
NPE-G2, as even though you might have lots of RAM, your main
issue will still be CPU performance during route churn.

I'm on IOS 15.2(4)S3 code across these units.

Mark.