[c-nsp] 6500, 7600 or ASR

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Aug 29 07:18:26 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 09:04:15PM +1030, CiscoNSP List wrote:
> > > Fully redundant, dual power, dual supervisor, multiple line cards for
> > > redundancy
> >
> > How many ports of which types?
>
> Only a few gig-e ports.

Technically I'd go ASR9006 (IOS XR), but ASR1006 is less overkill and
probably cheaper for your requirements.

"multiple linecards" is a big cost driver here which probably makes
ASR9006 economically unfeasible.

I wouldn't use 6500/7600 in that role. Too many caveats and gotchas
(at least historically - cannot judge newest generation of SUPs and
linecards) to my taste. See Rolands comment for typical example.

Best regards,
Daniel