[c-nsp] 6500, 7600 or ASR

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Aug 29 12:44:28 EDT 2013

On 29/08/13 16:59, chip wrote:
> Let's all also remember the TCAM limitations on the 7600/Sup2T platform.
>   With the BGP table growing like it is, you'll need to carve up IPv4/IPv6
> TCAM allocation and could likely run out in the not-so-distant future.
>   IMHO, unless something amazing happens for the 7600/Supervisor platform,
> this thing is dead as a DFZ BGP router and people should be looking
> elsewhere moving forward.  Both ASR lines (1k/9k) offer much better
> "router" capabilities and growth paths.  The 6500/7600 platform has had a
> helluva run, but I believe its time has passed.

Possibly.

Cisco are doing some moderately interesting things with the new 6807 and
6880. The latter in particular has 2M IPv4 entries of FIB, or 1M mixed
IIRC. They might be completely unsuitable in other ways of course, and
whether you count them as "6500/7600" platforms is debatable ;o)

But purely in terms of FIB size, I guess we'll see chassis-based sup2T
linecards with similar fib to 6880 sooner rather than later, and given
DFZ growth[1], depending on your replacement cycle it might be workable.

That said, it's not my area, so I hold no real opinion - just wanted to
note the 6880 FIB size.

Cheers,
Phil

[1] Unless the v4pocalypse or v6multihomocalypse leads to a massive rise
in DFZ growth rate, of course! Basing this entirely on naive linear
extrapolation of http://bgp.potaroo.net/as2.0/bgp-active.html