[c-nsp] Sup2T / IOS15 licensing questions

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 30 04:45:35 EDT 2013

On 08/29/2013 11:12 PM, "Rolf Hanßen" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> so there is no key or certificate or reference number at all ?

There is no electronic licensing, that's correct. I suppose it's
possible Cisco keep a record of device serial numbers and whether an IOS
license was purchased at the time, and if so what, but the devices
certainly don't.

> What prevents customers to buy one "alibi" license for all devices if
> there is no link to the device?

As Blake says: the law.

> Does it have any effect at all if you configure/install such a pseudo
> license or not ?

TBH I didn't even know there were licensing CLI commands on the box, and
I suspect they do nothing.

I don't even know if you need the license you've paid for. You should
speak to your reseller and Cisco account manager to clarify things.