[c-nsp] qos plan - advice please

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Fri Aug 30 15:02:56 EDT 2013

Thanks Blake, sorry about sounding contradictory.. didn't mean too (probably
due to me not wording this appropriately)..please bear with me as I attempt
to learn here.

Not sure when/if I said I had "queuing delays" ?

However, I am seeing this..

asr901 (ipsla probe)-------mpls net--------> (ipsla responder) asr9k

..sometimes the asr901 shows 8 ms rtt and sometimes it shows 244 ms.  Big
difference.  This is during times of no congestion.. And I understand the
definition of congestion in a best-effort network (a network without any qos
shaping/policing,etc) is when interfaces are passing traffic at or above max
capacity of that interface.  So again, my transit interfaces between the 901
and 9k are NOT saturated at all. they are barely passing 20 or 30% of the
link capacities along the path.  So my collegues are saying "Aaron give me
qos so I won't see 244 ms rtt results in my ipsla probes!!".. but Blake, et
al, I'm having trouble with this since I'm under the impression that qos is
used to solve *congestion* issues, and again, if my links aren't even
operating at 20 or 30% load, will qos solve that 244 ms rtt ip sla responses
?!

Aaron