[c-nsp] [j-nsp] MPLS-TP OAM

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Dec 7 04:00:17 EST 2013

On Friday, December 06, 2013 07:05:10 PM Phil Bedard wrote:

> As for providers deploying MPLS-TP, I certainly don't
> know of any...

My guess is if any providers were deploying it, it would be
incumbent telco's. But one would be hard-pressed to find a
decent incumbent, today, that hasn't already deployed an
IP/MPLS backbone in parallel to their legacy network.

That, then, leaves you with existing operators who run both
legacy and IP/MPLS networks, to consider MPLS-TP as a
migration path from SDH/SONET to anything above an
STM-64/OC-192, i.e., 40Gbps Ethernet, 100Gbps Ethernet,
400Gbps Ethernet, 1Tbps Ethernet, e.t.c., and sub-rates
thereof.

As pretty much all optical vendors are now incorporating
MPLS-TP support into their devices, I posit that we are
likely to see MPLS-TP deployments in the optical plane, as
opposed to typical routing hardware like Cisco, Juniper,
Brocade, ALU et al, as those (for now) do a better job at
normal MPLS forwarding, even if they are sporting some form
of MPLS-TP support.

Also, it might give legacy operators more comfort and peace
of mind to implement these "packet things" in optical
devices than on IETF routers/switches.

Cheers,

Mark.