[c-nsp] cheap core switch for a "hacker space" (nonprofit association)

Markus H hauschild.markus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 09:47:17 EST 2013

Thanks for all your input so far.

Regaring the Cat4k range - a C4948 would be an option if I could spend all
the money upfront, I don't think we can invest that much right now.

Regarding the EX2200 - IIRC it is very restricted in terms of L3 features
and forwarding (and the price once again).

Regarding the Cisco SBS - I have to take a look at those again, maybe
something there fits our needs.

Regarding "routing" vs "switching" -  I'd like to do routing between VLANs
(and basic ACLs) on the switch and hand off anything more complex to a
(linux or *BSD based) software router. That includes routing at least our
guest traffic via some kind of VPN service to get rid of most .

I don't think microbursts are that much of a problem for us. I at least
don't see them impacting the VM host sending a backup to the file server,
or even several of us pushing photos/videos from an event we attended onto
the owncloud instance. (If anyone however has some nice article that I
should read on microbursts feel free to send a link my way.)

Greetings,
Markus