[c-nsp] cheap core switch for a "hacker space" (nonprofit association)

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Mon Dec 9 11:19:29 EST 2013

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 05:17:58PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On the Juniper side, the EX4200 and EX3200 might be all you
> need. You can get them pretty cheap on the used market now.

Ditto on the Juniper EX. The EX4200 is current, and is even cheap on
gray market (ie. Amazon), although not quite as cheap as used.  The
EX4200 in particular comes with the VC ports & VC stack cables already.
(as opposed to the EX4550 which you have to buy both, but
that is beyond what the OP is looking for).

At used EX4200 pricing, I'd go for them over the EX2200, since there
are a lot more out there, more bang for the buck.

The EX3200 is fine too, just be careful that you can only VC stack
the same family (ie. only all EX4xxx).