[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Dec 10 05:09:15 EST 2013

Hi, Nick,

Am 10.12.2013 um 10:43 schrieb Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org>:
> On 10/12/2013 09:31, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
>> How can I connect them to the iBGP without them carrying full tables?
>> Route-maps for the neighbor definitions? Is that really all it takes?
>>
>> And OTOH again - why would I not want to carry < 100 LSAs in my IGP?
>
> if it's 100 LSAs, there's not going to be much practical difference between
> the two.
>
> If you want to do it with BGP, I'd recommend setting up a couple of VMs to
> act as route reflectors (with e.g. bird or quagga or something) and
> creating a very simple BGP community policy: tag your transit prefixes,
> your peering prefixes and your internal prefixes using different community
> values.  Then you can use the route reflectors to control how the prefixes
> are distributed around your network.  It's a small amount of work, but it's
> an approach that scales well in practice.

OK … later :-) I’ll stick to an IGP right now. Our network really is that small.

And the choice of OSPF was just a historical accident.

In 1996 we started with PA address space from our single upstream,
two LANs, a handful of dialin customers and one leased line customer.
Everything was configured manually with static routes and the dialin
links used a part of the LAN and proxy arp. Livingston Portmaster, anyone? ;-)

In 1997 I successfully rolled out OSPF exactly the way I described.
Had to connect Cisco and Livingston, so it was essentially the only choice.

In 2000/2001 we became LIR, AS16188 and I introduced BGP into the mix.
we had a maximum of about 2-300 LSAs in OSPF. I never thought of redesigning
the IGP. It just worked.

Today internet access as a product is mostly gone, it’s hosting instead,
and so the number of prefixes continues to decrease.

Kind regards,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100