[c-nsp] cheap core switch for a "hacker space" (nonprofit association)

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Tue Dec 10 15:33:28 EST 2013

Hi, all,

Am 10.12.2013 um 21:19 schrieb Markus H <hauschild.markus at gmail.com>:
> I have found a Cisco Catalyst 4948-S to be less expensive on ebay than two
> 3750G-24 (and both options are far cheaper than any Juniper EX on ebay).

If you can get one cheap, go for it. My used gear supplier swears by them
and I just bought three to finally start the first rack with 10G as a backbone
interconnection and 1G to each server. Our current setup is 1G to the backbone
and 100M to each server. (backbone links redundant, of course)

One drawback - this thing is huge ;-) You will need 60cm or something deep
of rackspace. Not a problem in a commercial environment with racks but could
be a limiting factor in a private setup. More than twice as big as a 29xx or 37xx ...

Kind regards
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100