[c-nsp] C6500 IPv6 redistribute with route-map?

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Wed Dec 11 14:46:19 EST 2013

Hi, all,

Am 11.12.2013 um 20:16 schrieb Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de>:
> Of course, if your network spans multiple 100s of routers, and 10.000s
> of customer connections, there is no alternative - but for a network with
> single-digit routers, and below 100 LSAs, "operational simplicity" wins,
> and I am fully convinced that "adding RRs" is not on the "simplicity"
> side of things.

Gee - thanks. That was my gut feeling with the „VM“ recommendations all along.
And that’s the reason why IS-IS wins *now* to get the migration to new hardware,
a new IGP and IPv6 done in a controlled and timely manner.

I will look into the RR stuff, nonetheless, as soon as I have the two 3825 to toy
with.

And - I’m confident I really nailed the redistribution mechanisms of OSPF vs. IS-IS now.
It *is* all in Philip’s presentations or Cisco’s documentation and books all right, but you
have to read the fine print very closely and draw some conclusions that are not explicitly written.

E.g. the fact that OSPF does not carry all connected prefixes is just an operational
peculiarity caused by the

router ospf 1
 network only.my.local.interface 0.0.0.0 area 0

instead of

router ospf 1
 network my.entire.as.range 0.0.15.255 area 0

In the latter case all connected interfaces *will* be injected as LSAs. And the latter
is the textbook setup.

Of course there is reason for the former setup and this is precisely the same reasoning
Nick and Mark advocated. Carry only your backbone links *in* your IGP and redistribute
everything else as external. Turns out I was doing this all along and I, too, don’t see much
of a difference in using an IGP vs. iBGP to achieve this.

My initial problem can be summarized as trying to force the OSPF mechanism on IS-IS
while not being familiar with the latter *plus* not having rationalized *why* I was doing
things that way, anymore. Now that I refreshed my memory and have come to a better
understanding of IS-IS I’m looking forward to completing my setup.

And I intend to write a short summary of connected route redistribution in OSPF vs. IS-IS
for the benefit of all.

Best regards
Patrick

P.S. It’s fun around here - can’t remember the last time I met a mailing list or newsgroup
with discussions this open and constructive and such knowledgable and helpful people.
--
punkt.de GmbH * Kaiserallee 13a * 76133 Karlsruhe
Tel. 0721 9109 0 * Fax 0721 9109 100