[c-nsp] MPLS/VPN Loadbalancing with 2 CPE routers

Nicolas KARP liste at karp.fr
Fri Dec 20 16:53:10 EST 2013

Unfortunately we can't change the lan at the moment.. The customer doesn't
want to do anything on his side :-/

I'm trying to find a way to use both links at the same time with only one
HSRP master on the primary router...

I had 2 ideas :

1/ use local pref to use one link for a specific dest network and the
second link for another network

2/ on the primary HSRP router, create 2 ebgp : one with the PE directly
connected and one withe PE which is connected to the secondary router (ebgp
multihop with static routes pointing to the secondary CPE) On the secondary
router, use only one ebgp with the router directly connected. If the HSRP
is going to be master on the secondary link, the traffic will be going to
the second link only but I can tell to my customer that the loadbalacing is
going to work only when the HSRP is master on the primary router..

What do you think ? Do you see a third option.. I would like to say that I
maintain the 4 routers (2 cpe, 2 PE) so I can everything I want on these
routers.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Nick