[c-nsp] ME3600x buffer calculations- revisited

Waris Sagheer (waris) waris at cisco.com
Fri Dec 27 03:26:03 EST 2013

Hi Jay,
Can you please help with the following question? Appreciate your support.

Best Regards,

[http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/horizontal06.jpg]

Waris Sagheer
Technical Marketing Manager
Service Provider Access Group (SPAG)
waris at cisco.com<mailto:waris at cisco.com>
Phone: +1 408 853 6682
Mobile: +1 408 835 1389

CCIE - 19901

<http://www.cisco.com/>

For corporate legal information go to:http://www.cisco.com/web/about/doing_business/legal/cri/index.html

From: Julie Rudolph <Julie.Rudolph at cdw.com<mailto:Julie.Rudolph at cdw.com>>
Date: Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:53 PM
To: Waris Sagheer <waris at cisco.com<mailto:waris at cisco.com>>, "cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net<mailto:cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>" <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net<mailto:cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>>
Subject: RE: [c-nsp] ME3600x buffer calculations- revisited

There is another troubling layer to this.  I also need to traffic shape the egress traffic.  But, I am unable to write the policies in such a way that when I apply the shaping, I also increase the queue limit.

So, here is one of *present* sample configurations that I’m working with:
----- SAMPLE CFG -----
policy-map CUST1-EGRESS-PARENT-PM
class class-default
  shape average 10000000
   service-policy CUST1-EGRESS-CHILD-PM
!
policy-map CUST1-EGRESS-CHILD-PM
class REAL-TIME-DSCP-CM
  priority
  police 8000000
  queue-limit 2000000 bytes
class SIGNALING-DSCP-CM
  bandwidth 1000
  set dscp af31
  queue-limit 2000000 bytes
class VIDEO-DSCP-CM
  bandwidth remaining percent 10
 class class-default
  queue-limit 2000000 bytes
  bandwidth 1000
----- END -----

The problem is that applying the traffic shaping uses the default queue-limit of 49152 bytes (see snippet below), but since it is not a leaf class, I cannot alter the queue-limit.  So, when I send traffic down this interface, it is still hamstrung by that 49152 byte limit.  I’ve tried a couple of configurations to try to address this (including those in http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/163596) but no configs I can come up with seem to address this.  What am I missing?  How can you shape traffic AND allow for higher queue-limit AND allow for a child policy?    Since the traffic is stepping down from a 10gig input interface to a 100mb interface (which in turn needs to be shaped down to 10mb/sec), I definitely need something.  And, since I’m dealing with voice traffic (udp), dropping packets doesn’t alter the traffic stream (obviously).  i.e. no tcp to back off the traffic.

----- SNIPPET----
ME3600X#show policy-map int gig0/2 output
GigabitEthernet0/2

  Service-policy output: CUST1-EGRESS-PARENT-PM

    Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      7592059 packets, 1108656945 bytes
      30 second offered rate 99000 bps, drop rate 0000 bps
      Match: any
  Traffic Shaping
    Average Rate Traffic Shaping
    Shape 10000 (kbps)
      Output Queue:
        Default Queue-limit 49152 bytes                                       >>>>>> this seems to be the problem.
        Tail Packets Drop: 0
        Tail Bytes Drop: 0

      Service-policy : CUST1-EGRESS-CHILD-PM

        Class-map: REAL-TIME-DSCP-CM (match-any)
<CUT>
----- END SNIPPET -----

What am I missing??

Thanks much,