[c-nsp] rate limit dns

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Dec 29 05:18:00 EST 2013

Hi,

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 11:00:03AM -0800, MIke wrote:
> >Using any QoS mechanism, let alone an old, obsolete, unmaintained one like
> >CAR, to deal with DDoS isn't a good idea - programmatically-generated
> >attack traffic can 'crowd out' legitimate traffic.
>
> I am reasonably sure that for this one application - dropping floods of
> dns traffic - is a reasonable step.

Just want to say that I like this approach.  Keep the Internet access
generally open, and only in case of "emergency" rate-limit what comes
in.  In that case, yes, legitimate queries will suffer, but that is
still better than "always block that type of packet".  IMHO.

(I might be a bit extreme on this, but I highly value the end-to-end
communication nature of the Internet, even if 99% of the subscribers
really do not make use of it, and see the Internet as some sort of
modern TV station.  But still, I'm going to fight for a transparent
end-to-end Internet - which, just to state the obvious, does *not*
include the right for anyone to send attack traffic, and indeed,
ensuring the latter doesn't kill the former is not trivial)

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de