[c-nsp] rate limit dns

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Dec 29 07:47:10 EST 2013

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 02:32:28 PM Dobbins, Roland
wrote:

> 3.	Liability insurance companies for the bank(s) and
> credit card issuer(s) in question turn around and sue
> the network operator for damages based upon negligence,
> alleging that reasonable and practical security policies
> which could've potentially prevented this fraud from
> being possible weren't implemented.  They might sue
> software vendors - OS vendors, foundations providing
> open-source Web browsers, and so forth, as well.
>
> 4.	Politicians/regulators get wind of this, and pile
on.

> A little bit of prudence now could obviate a whole lot of
> financial hurt and heavy-handed legislation/regulation,
> later.

This is where it becomes a slippery slope.

Who protects the customer against what?

The majority of (phishing) attacks have nothing to do with
the network, with the exception of having the network
transport those packets to the user's computing device.

Do they now sue Apple or Samsung for not detecting the
spurious e-mail? Do they sue Google for not including
protection within Android? Do they sue Dell for
manufacturing and selling bundled hardware/software without
adequate protection? Do they sue the regulator for not
enacting (and enforcing) policy that protects the end user?
Do they sue Cisco, Juniper, ALU, Huawei, e.t.c., for not
providing protection in their network-based devices?

Where does it end? If we start down this path, at what point
are we satisfied that the customer is reasonably protected
from all possible attack vectors? How do customers and
operators delineate lines between which responsibility lies
in view of those attack vectors?

Mark.