[c-nsp] rate limit dns

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Mon Dec 30 13:27:02 EST 2013

Now you are using the straw man argument.
Phishing has little to do with DNS per se.
If a known address is doing phishing a provider can certainly falsify that DNS to protect their customers.
BUT, forcing customers to use your DNS results in the possibility of all of your customers suffering in a DDoS
situation where your DNS servers are targeted.

DDoS attacks on DNS servers are particularly devastating for both resolvers and authoritative.
You can't simply block the traffic to those boxes as that takes sites off line,
effectively completing the attack. Simply rate limiting can achieve the same result.

As an ISP, how many of my customers are going to stick around if their service is down for 3 days or even a week?
I mean for Comcast that might work because many customers don't have any other choice.
I currently live in an area where I can only get Comcast, no DSL available.
DSL is another arena as you still have a choice of providers available as the phone companies are still required
to provide other providers access to their customers.

I would advise against limiting DNS choices.

Mack McBride | Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.
O: 720.891.2502 | mack.mcbride at viawest.com | www.viawest.com | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube