[c-nsp] Quick question on HSRP...

Jean-Francois.Dube at videotron.com Jean-Francois.Dube at videotron.com
Mon Dec 30 20:14:08 EST 2013

Hi Jeff,

My understanding is that you are basically going to replace the default
gateway for in a couple of vlans. (Same IP but different MAC.)

Active HSRP router will issue gratuitous ARP (gARP) when it becomes Active
so there should be little disruption for the hosts inside the vlan trying
to reach the default gateway.

If hosts ignore gARP then they will try to forward frames to the wrong
destination MAC for as long as their ARP entry is valid.

Servers usually have ARP timeout of a few seconds to a few minutes where
routers can have timeout of 4 hours (like Cisco) or more.

HSRP is one thing. You still need to make sure the new routers know how to
route packets the same way the old ones did.

Good luck,

JF

Jean-François Dubé
Technicien, Opérations Réseau IP