[c-nsp] rate limit dns

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue Dec 31 16:13:25 EST 2013

Recursive servers have to be able to receive responses from anywhere on the internet.
There is no way to configure that so it can't be flooded off of the internet.

Nor can RTBH stop a true DDoS.  That is the 'distributed' part that is the first D.
Nor will it stop a reflection attack, which is even more damaging because then you are
blocking important authoritative DNS servers.

Using teirs of recursive resolvers doesn't help.  Using distributed resolvers might depending on the
nature of the attack.

As an ISP operator, I can tell you that your solution will only work for someone whose customers
can't leave for another provider.

Mack McBride | Network Architect | ViaWest, Inc.
O: 720.891.2502 | mack.mcbride at viawest.com | www.viawest.com | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube