[c-nsp] Replacement for Cisco ACE load balancers

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Mon Feb 4 14:22:26 EST 2013

On 02/04/2013 01:10 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 04/02/13 17:56, Chris Marlatt wrote:
>
>> The Foundry/Brocade ServerIron's/ADX line work's quite well in a L2 or
>> L3 environment without NAT or being in-line. Enabling DSR (direct server
>> return, in an L2 environment) means the LB doesn't have to be within the
>> path of the normal switching/routing and their ADX line has support for
>> true multi-10Gb throughputs. DSR also means you're not burning up the
>
> Interesting. Is it particularly / prohibitively expensive? Several other
> vendors hinted that a 10gig SLB device was "way out of proportion to our
> needs" and "very expensive".

10Gb load balancing has always been "expensive" but at least in our
history, that customer base has justification for the expense.

The ADX stuff IMHO is certainly a palatable number for that much
throughput. Though if you can it's certainly worth considering
redesigning how you application functions if you need that much
concentrated load balancing. Not everyone has that option though.

We deployed some of their WSM7's with 10Gb modules awhile back and
whereas you were linked at 10Gb you only were capable of about 6Gb worth
of Application Throughput. The ADX chassis based line negates that
however. You can grow your Application Throughput via additional
Application Switch Modules to get some pretty impressive numbers. The
old 4G's or ADX1k's are still a hearty platform for more modest traffic
needs.

Regards,

	Chris