[c-nsp] FWSM Maintenance software - where to download from

Erik Sundberg ESundberg at nitelusa.com
Wed Feb 6 22:04:20 EST 2013

It's not the ASDM software... It's the underlying, I guess you can call it a BootROM  software on the blade. You have to reboot the blade in to the maintenance software to upgrade the IOS version on the Firewall Services Module.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm41/configuration/guide/swcnfg_f.html
FSWM Configuration Guide says
 You must use maintenance software Release 2.1(2) or later with the FWSM... I am currently at 1.1(2).

The advantage of upgrading through the maintenance software is there is two Partitions that you can run software from cf:4 and cf:5... It's like having two OS's on the same computer and choosing which one to boot. This comes in handy when your upgrading from  3.x code to 4.x code... Very easy roll back to the old software version.

I could be wrong with everything I just said.. Im learning about the FWSM today.

Still looking for the maintenance software... Think im going to call cisco TAC.

Thanks

Erik