[c-nsp] "speed nonegotiate" command under optical transceiver configuration

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Feb 9 04:19:34 EST 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 05:45:53PM +0200, Martin T wrote:
> one can apply "speed nonegotiate" command under interface
> configuration mode in case of optical SFP/GBIC. Looks like this
> command is supported only in case of optical transceivers. For example

This is due to the way 1000BaseT works - you always need to negotiate
parameters there, otherwise the link will just not come up.

> Am I correct, that "speed nonegotiate" is available only on optical
> transceivers? What is the history behind "speed nonegotiate" command?
> What information is exchanged and expected by Cisco device if "speed
> nonegotiate" command is not applied?

Basically, negotiation is mandatory on GigE ports, no matter which
physical layer.  Unfortunately, too many folks in the Telco industry
still think that "only no negotiation is good negotiation", and thus
you occasionally need to turn it off when talking to Telco gear - and
that's what "speed nonegotiate" does.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de