[c-nsp] OSPF OOB Resync and peer stuck in EXSTART (SeqNumberMismatch)

John Neiberger jneiberger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:26:06 EST 2013

It's a new-ish Checkpoint firewall, but I have no idea what code it is
running. I was sent a snippet of their logs and I see a lot of the
following:

OSPF LSA: different instance of lsa on retranmission list received: type
RTR
OSPF LSA: different instance of lsa on retranmission list received: type
NTW

I verified the the firewall *is* setting the LR-bit indicating that it is
capable of OOB Resync. The RFC says that if the LR-bit is set in the hello
messages, DBD packets should have the R-bit set during an OOB Resync. If
those DBD packets do not have the R-bit set, the receiving device is
supposed to drop them and log a sequence number mismatch. I suspect that is
what happened here. It looks like "something" is causing their database to
become unsynchronized and the firewall triggers an OOB Resync but then
doesn't set the R-bit in the DBD packets. I'm not exactly sure, though.
That's just what I'm thinking, so far.