[c-nsp] sup720 ICMP redirects "once per second"

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 15:07:33 EST 2013

I don't see in RFC 1122 that the original packet should/must be dropped
when a redirect condition is triggered and an icmp redirect message is
sent. So I think it's normal that the supervisor forwards all packets, RFC
792 seems to confirm this. If you want to avoid packets to be punted, "no
ip redirects" and "mls rate-limit" are there.

Are you sure that the traffic triggering the redirects is 10 Mbit/s? Are
you sure it's subject to CoPP at all? Maybe that's why you're not seeing
matches in CoPP counters. You can do an inband SPAN or netdr capture to see
if packets are really punted. I would keep on the table that maybe some
pings between host1 and host2 or some other hosts trigger the redirects and
that original traffic is 1 pps.

If doing a CPU capture confirms that 10Mbps is punted indeed, TAC can help
you to perform an ELAM capture for that traffic to see if it will trigger a
redirect (based on destination index) or not. They can also assist in
performing CPU captures using netdr in RX and TX directions to see how many
and what kind of packets are punted to CPU and what is generated by the CPU.

Best regards,
Andras