[c-nsp] Direction traffic through firewalls (was: 6500 VSS for campus L3 core?)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 09:59:14 EST 2013

On 14/02/13 14:41, Andrew Miehs wrote:

> When the specific route re-appeared, the firewall continued to send the
> traffic via the default route as the "flow" had not expired.

It is a bit of a shame that so many firewalls rely *entirely* on the
flow module to forward packets, and in such a dumb (sticky) way. It can
be a real pain in cases where the device unconditionally sends return
packets back out the input interface for the session (regardless of
routing table) in some topologies, or if the device barfs when packets
come in via >1 interface (multipath). I'd be much happier if the
firewalls had some form of FIB as well as their flow table, but I guess
I understand why this isn't the case.

> I have seen another setup where you use a router for your
> "fusion"/intervrf router and the run layer 2 firewalls on that link.

 From what I can tell, that's something firewall vendors seem to be
moving away from; routed rather than transparent mode seems to be the
"preferred" mode for many devices and vendors now (or at least, the ones
I've dealt with; I can't claim exhaustive knowledge!)

> This however has the disadvantage that all your traffic needs to flow
> through 2 firewalls (or twice through the one firewall)...

This is definitely an issue at high throughput - we couldn't afford to
take the performance hit, for example.

You also "lose" some information, specifically you don't know the final
destination zone on the 1st pass, or the original source zone on the
2nd. In some cases this is good, others bad - it depends on how you are
writing your policies, and whether you've got nice/neat address ranges
mapping to security zones (we don't).

If you do you layer2 firewalls between VRFs on a PE, you also end up
having to form routing adjacencies "with yourself". This can be a bit
icky at best, and outright unworkable at worst, depending on your
platform, OS version and choice of routing protocol.

As with all things, there's no one right answer ("it depends") but here,
we've had good luck with BGP and routing. Some lucky guesses early on
and suitable mandatories in the procurement yielded good results.