[c-nsp] How important is the HW revision of a module?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 14 11:40:42 EST 2013

On 14/02/13 15:47, Jeffrey G. Fitzwater wrote:
> How concerned should I be about the HW and FW revisions?  2.2 to 4.3 seems pretty far apart.

That's an excellent question.

There have been hints over the years that various Hw revisions of things
like the PFC/DFC and baseboard have had minor tweaks, but I don't think
there's any definitive statement.

In case it helps, we have some pretty widely diverging versions as well
- our 6748s have 1.5, 1.11, 1.12, 2.2 and 2.3. We don't seem to have any
problems mixing Hw versions.

[I have just notice that one chassis has a standby sup720 which is of
different Hw revision to the active though - wonder if that's OK?]

> I guess I could ask TAC what the revisions changed or fixed.

My guess is they'll be very, very reluctant to admit that anything was
fixed; it would compromise their ability to perform RMA from warehouse
stock if customers could demand "better" / newer linecards. But maybe
I'm wrong...