[c-nsp] ASR-100x intro

Mack McBride mack.mcbride at viawest.com
Tue Feb 19 23:09:58 EST 2013

The shared RAM is kind of a misnomer.
On systems with an separate ESP and RP/RP2 there are two linux processors that control the cards.
On the combined systems there is only one processor, so it doesn't really share RAM there is just one processor.

The route limit on the RP/RP2 is kind of a misnomer as well.
All of the FIB space lives on the ESP portion of the board on shared systems and
Solely on the ESP in the separate cards.
The RAM for the QFP is separate from the control processor RAM.
The QFP has IRAM and DRAM, IRAM is instruction space, DRAM is data space.
In theory the IRAM can be used for FIB space (I am told that is bad).
Of course in theory the control processor can also do routing for punted packets.

How this thing handles running out of FIB DRAM (data ram) on the QFP is still an open question.

Having said all of that, the control processor ram does limit how many and how large of a BGP table
you can hold.  The FIB only holds one CEF adjacency for each route.  Each CEF adjacency can have up to
16 load sharing interfaces (in theory).

Final answer on how long 1M routes will work for is variable.
At least 18 months, possibly as long as 3 or 4 years.  Beyond that and there is going to be table pruning if
growth continues.

LR Mack McBride
Network Architect