[c-nsp] Network tap solution recommendations

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 04:25:13 EST 2013

On 01/04/2013 07:50 AM, Mike Hale wrote:
> I've had good experience with the ntap copper devices.
>
> Their basic 10gig copper passive tap is uber cheap too.

Is there any such thing as a "genuine" copper passive tap at 10g? I was
under the impression that it was impossible, given the differential
signalling, and such devices at 1gig are invariably powered.

We've used ntap optical taps - they work as advertised, and there's a
little rackmount thing that can take 3 of them. We specifically use the
two-channel one to mirror a 20g port channel.

For analysis, we use a server with 2x 2port 10g myricom NICs and gulp ;o)