[c-nsp] Network tap solution recommendations

Eugeniu Patrascu eugen at imacandi.net
Mon Jan 7 15:00:59 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 10:23 PM, Bernie <zenbernie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I find myself needing to specify a 10GB network tap solution, to include a
> monitoring station or packet analysis software. Aside from trying to
> Frankenstein a Wireshark system together, does anyone have recommendations
> on good gear you've used?
>
> My starting point is I'm looking at NetOptics for their 10GB passive tap
> for LC fiber. However, I'd appreciate having a couple of vendor names so I
> can do a price comparison for my boss.

You can look at GigaMon GigaTAP line of products (www.gigamon.com) as
they have taps for everything (copper/fiber) and what can help when
you have a lot of traffic is that they allow you to put PCAP filters
on their hardware and from a 10G link with bulk traffic you can
receive on a span sport only the traffic you're really interested on -
pretty useful feature. The web interface is incredibly simple, you can
even call it web 1.0 on some places. I have no idea how much they
cost, I only used their product once and it worked as advertised and
was happy about it.

Eugeniu