[c-nsp] cisco interface shutdown detection, how is possible?

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Mon Jan 7 16:07:09 EST 2013

h bagade <bagadeh at gmail.com> writes:

> I've also tested Cisco router connection on different systems with
> different OSes. On Win systems, when I disable the Ethernet card, router
> detects it at the time but on FreeBSD systems, when I set interface down,
> the router shows Line Protocol as up!

Be careful to not be fooled by IPMI either. If IPMI is configured, the
link may stay up even though the OS believes it is down. Indeed, the
link may stay up even though the server is "off" (though of course it
dies if the server loses power).

Some servers are shipped factory-default with IPMI enabled on the
regular ethernet interfaces.

/Benny