[c-nsp] IOS XR PIC (+ multipath)

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Wed Jan 9 03:53:22 EST 2013

You're the best Oli
Thank you very much for clarifying the multipath-protect feature.
Right for multipath there are alternate paths installed in FIB already so in
case one fails others serve as backup.

I've just realized I forgot the "advertise best-external" cmd in configs
below
-which is necessary to get the alternate paths propagated across the network

Now to my question
I was strongly advised by the SE team NOT to use the combo of multipath +
backup-path:
The reasoning behind it was basically that it was not tested by big ISPs -so
I guess no one really knows how it behaves in production networks.
I also heard an argument that best-external could cause loops in some cases
-though I can't really think of such a scenario -and would love to be
schooled on that.

router bgp 123
 vrf test
  address-family ipv4 unicast
   additional-paths selection route-policy RP-PIC
   advertise best-external
   maximum-paths eibgp 8

So please are there any issues/corner cases where it can cause issues -or
it's just a lack of production testing?

adam