[c-nsp] IOS XR PIC (+ multipath)

Adam Vitkovsky adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Thu Jan 10 05:10:48 EST 2013

> Do you use max-path eigbp to ignore the IGP metric to the next-hop/egress
PE and to loadshare across these paths? Or do you actually have the
requirement to load-share across a direct/ebgp and a remote PE path?

Well it's both actually, in order to take care of all scenarios upfront.
It's mostly about dual hub sites that would like to actively use both links
to two PEs in a single POP (or two POPs for that matter).
If all the remote sites are connected to PEs other than those where hub site
is connected to we could get away with: maximum-paths ibgp x unequal-cost.
But if later some of the chatty sites have to be migrated to the same PE
where one of the hubs is connected to -it'll be causing saturation of that
particular hub link while there's still capacity on the other.
So anyways the only viable solution is maximum-paths eiBGP after all, and
hey it also takes care of the igp-unegual-paths to ibgp NHs as well as ebgp
multipathing should there be a need for that.

I'd like to add PIC to the solution as well to provide fast restore times
also for customer sites with active/backup links.

Thank you very much for the BRKIPM-2265

adam