[c-nsp] MSTP issue. Isolation of core switch

Andrey Teslenko teslenko.andrey at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:02:14 EST 2013

Hello!

Thanks for you response.

As I know MSTP does not send MSTI’s information in separate BPDUs, this
information is piggybacked into the IST’s BPDUs using special M-Record
fields.

So, I can have multiple MSTI or one with whole vlan range (1-4096) no
matter. Also we not planned to use some load share mechanism, so i did not
see any sense in multiple instance.

In any case, BPDU will be propagated in MST0 (Internal Spanning Tree) and
will consist of such components as configuration name, revision number and
a hash value calculated over VLANs to MSTI mapping table contents

The configuration name and revision parapeters have sense if we used
multiple instase (maybe i'm wrong). But this is not acceptable for us now.

I think that this problem may apear due very large L2 segment. So value
"Max Hops"  exhausts itself in some cases.
As a result sw-core receives BPDU 0 and after that  happens  the following
scenario

sw-Core ceases to receive BPDU from all neighbors and and decides that he
is root.
Upstream switches sends superior root bridge information to the sw-Core
bridge but receives the BPDUs with Designated bit set, the upstream switch
concludes that the downstream does not hear its BPDU’s. The upstream switch
then blocks the downstream port and marks it as STP dispute link

BUT Why sw-CORE ceases to receive BPDU from ALL neighbors?  - a mystery.