[c-nsp] Cisco Nexus and Port-VLAN limits

Tóth András diosbejgli at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:04:48 EST 2013

Hi Adam,

The reason for having a limit is that the switch needs to program the
hardware to allow or deny packets on each port for each vlan which is
allowed on the port. In other words, based on whether a port is up/down,
whether in one particular vlan it can receive traffic or not (STP BLK), the
forwarding hardware needs to be programmed in order to process the packets
at wire-rate and this programming needs time and processing power, hence
the limit.

As the document mentions for Logical interfaces: "This parameter reflects
the load of handling port programming...". This needs to be done a per-vlan
basis, regardless of the STP mode.

Sometimes you can go above these limits a little, however be very cautious
about it, because:
1) it can result in unexpected behavior, mostly instability of STP and
other errors,
2) not supported by TAC, so if you go above the limit and some error
messages start to appear or STP goes crazy, TAC will ask you to reduce the
number of vlans on your ports so that you're below the documented limit.

Best regards,
Andras