[c-nsp] Rationale for ISIS default origination behavior

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 14:31:02 EST 2013

--- On Mon, 1/21/13, David Freedman <david.freedman at uk.clara.net> wrote:

>I doubt many people make use of an IS-IS default (as I'm sure the L1/ATT
>behaviour is also seen as an annoyance in modern IP networks), many
>networks I've seen running IS-IS and BGP tend to do all their routing in
>the iBGP and keep IS-IS for pure infrastructure prefixes (loopbacks and
>sometimes transfer networks).

There are most certainly those of us who do make use of the L1/L2 injection of the default route via ATT bit in ISIS networks today.  It's an extremely useful way to keep a L2 database down in size when you don't need to have many areas.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com