[c-nsp] unknown unicast flooding - particularly regarding fhrp's

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon Jan 21 17:04:55 EST 2013

No arp entry, means router arps out to resolve l2 mac address of course

No answer to first ping is common and I recently read that it has something
to do with CEF throttling while it builds adjacency table entry

about the 5 minute arp timeout scenario....i believe that there is something
within cisco ios that when the arp timeout period elapses, (and I believe it
might be at half-life of timeout perios or something like that) that the
router itself actually proactively arp's out even before real traffic is
coming for that destination....in other words I think the router tries to
reach out to the pre-existing arp entries to see if they still exist at arp
timer halflife or something like that.  I think I saw that while doing
"debug arp" or something like that one day a while back

aaron