[c-nsp] Rationale for ISIS default origination behavior

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 23 09:09:10 EST 2013

On (2013-01-24 00:59 +1100), Andrew Miehs wrote:

> As a side note, if you were to use 8.8.8.8 as your "test" you need to
> ensure that you do not peer directly with this network.

I'm not at all arguing 8.8.8.8 is best or even good pick, one has to make
the choice based on personal requirements and opinions. It is certainly
debatable subject.
Maybe root DNS? Maybe you know you have critical POS application at
providerY in prefixX, then this makes sense in that deployment.

But what ever it is, it is always, even when locally hosted by peer, be
better than static to peer, as it will guarantee ARP works and BGP works,
so you're already covering many common failure-modes.

It will almost certainly guarantee peer is connected to peer's core (just
verify with traceroute that 8.8.8.8 or what not is not directly connected
to ASBR's PEER router).

Perfect it is not. Few things are.
--
  ++ytti