[c-nsp] stp on me3600 on efp's with locally connected older switch

Reuben Farrelly reuben-cisco-nsp at reub.net
Thu Jan 24 16:05:46 EST 2013

On 25/01/2013 7:25 AM, Aaron wrote:
> Why does " l2protocol peer stp" show up as an option if it's not supported?  Is that one of those things with ios that commands are there but don't work type of thing?   ...anyway, is MST (802.1s) supported on efp's?
>
> Aaron
>
> sv-b-ME3600-test#
> sv-b-ME3600-test#conf t
> Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.
> sv-b-ME3600-test(config)#int g0/22
> sv-b-ME3600-test(config-if)#service instance 675 ethernet
> sv-b-ME3600-test(config-if-srv)#l2protocol peer ?
>    cdp   Cisco Discovery Protocol
>    dtp   Dynamic Trunking Protocol
>    lacp  LACP Protocol
>    lldp  Link Layer Discovery Protocol
>    pagp  Port Aggregation Protocol
>    stp   Spanning Tree Protocol
>    udld  UDLD Protocol
>    vtp   Vlan Trunking Protocol
>    <cr>

If the 4500 is one of your core devices then just configure the port as
a normal switchport trunk.
IMHO EFP's are more suited and designed to be used on customer facing
ports (PE->CE) rather than core facing uplinks (P-PE).

Aside from that, the restriction about only being able to peer with MSTP
across EFP's is a pretty horrendous one, I was really surprised to find
that even Cisco's Rapid PVST isn't supported and it's not on the roadmap :-(

Reuben