[c-nsp] Cat6500 odd arp behavior

Christian Meutes christian at errxtx.net
Fri Jan 25 01:47:37 EST 2013

On Jan 24, 2013, at 7:01 PM, <Vinny_Abello at Dell.com> wrote:

> Is there something that would prevent ARP from discovering these newly
> added devices when the switch would be soliciting the network segment
> for the MAC address for a certain IP? I was leaning towards bug... or I have
> some unintended consequence due to the CoPP policy or rate-limiters on
> these switches which are also the same.

Unfortunately yes. Packets hitting missing ARP adjacency need to go through
CoPP to trigger the discovery. Test it yourself: Allow them explicitely in your
policy and it's going to work.

Configure the "mls rate-limit unicast cef glean" h/w rate-limiter. That way
packets hitting missing ARP adjacencies will only be addressed to the
rate-limiter and not to CoPP anymore.

Don't understand why it's not kind of default.