[c-nsp] Confirmation of Gigabit Ethernet autonegotiation behavior

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jan 25 03:51:19 EST 2013

On (2013-01-25 08:34 +0000), Alan Buxey wrote:

> Probably better looking at the RFC ...however , duplex? Gigabit requires full duplex. You can't have half duplex...

You mean IEEE 802.3 not RFC.

It's extremely hard to read, and often impossible to draw any hard
conclusions without having interoperating PHY under your belt.

1GE spec fully allows half-duplex.

My belief is, if you hard-set anything, autonego is disabled. Some cisco
devices support 'speed auto 1000' to advertise only 1000 capability.
But I don't know how to prove this in CSCO, in JNPR Trio devices you can do
'show mtip-gpcs 1 an' to see what you are advertising and what neighbour is
advertising to easily prove yourself what is going on.

I'd really love to buy a book where IEEE 802.3 is compressed to relevant,
practical bits in understandable format by someone who understands the
standard and practical implementations of it.

--
  ++ytti