[c-nsp] Confirmation of Gigabit Ethernet autonegotiation behavior

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 06:17:38 EST 2013

On 01/25/2013 10:57 AM, Andriy Bilous wrote:
> I am still wondering - WHY? Our cable guys were always handing over

Yeah, BT do this in the UK. It's inexplicable and frustrating. In *some*
cases, I've seen them present a circuit with autoneg off, then fail to
"wr mem" the config, so when power loss occurs, it comes back up with
autoneg *on*, and the line goes down. You then enable autoneg, and a few
hours later their NMS / clueless ops staff disable it... and the line
goes down!

I don't think it's technical TBH. I suspect it's just "telco" mindset -
"force all the params to on/fast/full and it's better, right?"