[c-nsp] stp on me3600 on efp's with locally connected older switch

Aaron aaron1 at gvtc.com
Fri Jan 25 14:27:36 EST 2013

This is an option.  Thanks Adam, and it works with efp (si) command
"l2protocol tunnel stp"....i tested it out good.

However, here's another challenge I'm up against... the fact that I have
Occam Networks DSLAMS (now Calix....including Ross as he deals with this
gear and perhaps has suggestions) directly connecting (dual uplinks for
redundancy acorss dslam blades) to the ME3600 and the occam blc's DO NOT run
spanning tree, as a matter of fact they look like a wire to a spanning tree
speaker (cisco switch, me3600, etc).  In which case I've typically used the
cisco switch stp as the flow throw the dslams and back into the cisco switch
and then the cisco switch sees the loop and blocks one of it's interfaces.
so I need to deal with that LOCALLY to that ME3600 don't I. ?

So from what Christian and Reuben mentioned also, I either need to....

- figure out how to run 802.1s (MSTP) on the EFP in ME3600 and interact with
the neighboring 4500 (which stp, 802.1d, pvst+)

OR

- forget the efp deal on ME3600 and go back to the vanilla switchport
trunking way of doing business and run pvst+ (rstp) on me3600 and stp
neighbor with 4500 normally with pv(r)stp+

Any other thoughts/ideas gents?

BTW, here's what I'm doing....

Network has been for years like this....so basically flat collapsed ip core
whereas same vlan from customer and default gw is on dual 7609's....

Dslams----4500------(1q vlans)------dual 7609's routed svi's w/hsrp

Now I'm moving this to....

Dslams----4500------(1q vlans)----me3600/pe---(mpls core of 9k p's, vlans
from previous design migrated into vpls)-----dual 9k's bvi's w/hsrp