[c-nsp] POST PortASIC Failure: Fail PortPhyLoopback

Williams, Ray ray.williams at transcore.com
Wed Jan 16 15:39:41 EST 2013

I have about (30) 3560X switches deploy in a MetroNet using EIGRP and
I'm getting random POST Failure message on the Cisco ports that connects
to the service provider DEMARC switches.

This is what the POST message looks like when the port successfully
connects to the DEMARC after a reboot.

POST: PortASIC Port Loopback Tests : Begin

POST: PortASIC Port Loopback Tests : End, Status Passed

And, this is what the POST message looks like when the port does not
connect to the DEMARC after a reboot.

POST: PortASIC Port Loopback Tests : Begin

POST: Failed PortPhyLoopback Packet Test asic_index 1
port_hardware_index 26

POST: PortASIC Port Loopback Tests : End, Status Passed

The failure is purely random at this point and on-line forums indicate
this is a hardware failure, but I can't fathom the fact that all of the
switches are failing.

Could you please refer me to relevant documentation that might shed
light on this matter?