[c-nsp] pros and cons for IPTV multicast in rosen-mvpn vs GRT

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 1 12:08:49 EDT 2013

On Monday, February 18, 2013 10:19:17 PM Sigurbjörn Birkir
Lárusson wrote:

> The implementation of draft-rosen on the 7600 is very
> quirky and it has been our experience that there are
> more bugs and problems with it than can reasonably be
> expected.  In particular in regards to protected sources
> (particularly problems with duplicate streams) and
> punting of traffic to the IBC, neither of which are easy
> to troubleshoot and can cause mayhem.
>
> If you intend to do a new implementation on the 7600 at
> this point and have your mind set on using MVPN, I'd
> recommend going with MLDP

When I ran an NG-MVPN network, we took advantage of the MPLS
data plane and implemented FRR within the p2mp RSVP-TE
tunnels. So failure within the core resulted in ultra-quick
switchovers to the backup links. Most times, there was no
visible effect on picture quality; sometimes, it was very
minor pixelation which could have been mistaken for a cloud
passing over a Ku-band dish :-).

Things were a little more challenging between the Sender and
Receiver PE routers, where we ran PIM. Those links fed into
BGP (which signaled PIM in the core), so the network could
easily converge to backup PE-CE links (we had three) using
LOCAL_PREF. This took care of where PIM Joins were going to,
and in effect, where downstream traffic was coming from.

The slowest part of convergence was when the primary link
returned, and BGP immediately re-installed the path toward
that link (since it had the highest LOCAL_PREF), and it took
as many as 30 seconds for video to resume across the new
path. This was even after setting the BGP timers to their
lowest (about 6.6 seconds in Junos). This also varied
depending how the link was recovered, whether it was brought
up with the "no shutdown" command or by plugging the fibre
in, e.t.c. So 30 seconds was the worst average we concluded
on, for simplicity.

There was some work going on with "draft-morin-l3vpn-mvpn-
fast-failover-05", but I haven't followed progress or
implementation of this since I stopped managing that
network. Hopefull, I soon will with the new one :-). That
said, I think this draft focused mostly on p2mp RSVP-TE, I'm
not sure how applicable it could be to mLDP (and certainly
wouldn't be to regular IP/GRE Multicast).

Mark.